MSRL: Review: And The Walls Came Tumbling Down, The Secret Life of Senator Jack

And The Walls Came Tumbling Down, The Secret Life Of Senator Jack And The Walls Came Tumbling Down, The Secret Life Of Senator Jack by Vernadine A. Merrick


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In a cleverly written novel, author Vernadine A. Merrick takes us through the roller coaster life of fictional Senator Jack Montgomery. As you read, one can't help but feel that his rise as a political superstar is eerily similar to that of our current President Barack Obama. The rest of Senator Jack's life, is very much a contrast of, probably most politicians, and if this were a true story, would be something that the cable news networks would eat up with non-stop coverage, and would go down in political history as one of the most fascinating political dramas of all time. But that's where the comparison ends, politics.

The rest of the story, although well written, often reading like a blockbuster film, very much filled with drama, is disappointing in the end, and in my opinion, doesn't have enough drama. I was enthralled with the writing, the details of the then Senator Jack's young life, the mystery surrounding his "former" life, and the transformation of this one time thug into a well polished politician.

I was hoping, though, that after I got through the first 300 pages, that the pace of the drama and the climax of the story of this character would have continued and been more exciting, considering the main character, Jack Montgomery's, checkered past. Chapters 18-20 and even the Epilogue were all too much of a "perfect ending" and I was very disappointed. I expected all of the twists and turns and momentum that intrigued me at the beginning of the book to carry me through until the end. In my opinion, that was not the case, I felt dropped off, and for lack of a better word, duped. It ended way too easily, predictably, and unrealistically, sort of like a fairy tale, and really what politician's life ends that way, especially if there is a scandal that threatens to destroy his life. I got very frustrated towards the end of the book because, as a citizen who keeps up with the drama of politics in real life, I was hoping that the author would have given us some more "monkey wrench drama", some more of the "Real DC", a cliffhanger, if you will, that would leave a reader wishing for a "Part II" of the story.

Overall, the book was very well written and I do look forward to seeing more from this author.



 

On A Personal Note: I decided to read And The Walls Came Tumbling Down, The Secret Life of Senator Jack and put it at the top of my summer reading list, on a whim, because I had the pleasure of meeting the author, back in May 2010, at a local Book Expo. I was very excited to meet her because we also had many things in common, specifically our membership in the same sorority. Also, our aspirations for writing seemed similar and in my quest to become a published author, I think it's only right to support other writers, in fact, I have several books from authors I met at that same Book event, that I hope to complete this summer. I wish all of these authors luck in their publishing endeavors.

View all my reviews >>

Comments